H7: Say the New Word
1. OverviewAdd a sound to the end of a word to create a new word, without any visual clues. Your child will practice synthesizing new words and will also learn that adding a sound to a word can change its meaning.
H7: Say the New Word
- list of words and “new” words — this word list is for the adult’s reference only
Video: How to play Say the New WordBefore starting the game, explain to the child that with some words, you can add a sound to the end and make a totally new word. To start the game, you will say a word from the provided list and have the child repeat it. Then add the appropriate sound to the end of the word — be sure to pronounce the sound correctly. Have her tell you the “new” word that appears when she adds that sound onto the end.
Adult: I’m going to say a word and then add a sound to the end of it. You will tell me the “new” word that you get. Get ready: how • • /sss/. What’s the new word? [If the child struggles, repeat the word parts — how • /sss/ — with a shorter pause between them.] Child: House! Adult: Yes, house. How • • /sss/ makes a new word: house.Go through 30-40 words in a session. Give the child a mix of words, at least one for each of the 15 listed ending sounds. Revisit this activity until you have gone through all the words and the child can “add on” all the different ending sounds. ↑ Top
4. Confidence BuilderGive the child a smaller mix of words, with no more than eight different ending sounds. The majority of these ending sounds should be continuant sounds such as /mmm/, /fff/, and /sss/. ↑ Top
5. ExtensionSay the first word and then the second one (for example, how–house). See if the child can identify and say the sound you added to the first word to make the second word. ↑ Top
6. Small Groups (2-5 children)Lesson Objective: Without using picture cards as visual aids, children will hear a word spoken in two parts with the ending phoneme separated from the preceding word part, and orally blend the two parts into a whole spoken word. GELDS (Georgia Early Learning & Development Standards): CLL6.4f Georgia Standards of Excellence: ELAGSEKRF2.e Common Core State Standards: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.E Additional Materials:
- optional: photos of the individual children
Leave a Reply
2 Responses to “H7: Say the New Word”
Under “Extension”, “fi” should be “if”. Just a typo, but my teacher-brain picks up on it!
Sight Words Admin
Fantastic catch, Janet. Thank you! Fixed it.