Phonemic Awareness Curriculum
1. Phonemic Awareness CurriculumOur curriculum is based on the following 110 games, arranged in an order that’s research-supported and classroom-proven to lead to successful reading. Each game builds on the skills taught in the previous games, and the children should be confident on each of the previous lessons before they move on to a new lesson. Children who complete this pre-reading curriculum will have a strong foundation for learning to read and will be ready to start a traditional reading curriculum of phonics and sight words. NOTE: Be sure to consult our Before You Start page and our Pacing & Assessment page before you dive in! ↑ Top
1a. Phonological Awareness — Sounds in Language
1b. Phonemic Awareness — Sounds in Words
2. LessonsEach lesson takes approximately 15 minutes and is most effective when taught to children individually or in small groups (2-5 children). Use your lesson time to present one new game, and possibly devote 5 minutes at the end to review an activity the child has already mastered. More Teaching Tips ↑ Top
3. Confidence Builders & ExtensionsEvery child is different and will move through our curriculum at a different pace. A child who breezes through the Rhyming games may struggle with Compound Words, while another child will struggle with Rhyming but master the Compound Words activities very quickly. Many of our activity pages feature recommendations for adjusting the activity to the needs of your particular child or classroom:
- Confidence Builders make the game a little easier for struggling students.
- Extensions offer extra challenges for children who have already mastered the main activity.
- Variations suggest options for changing up the game a little to add variety.
- Group Variations offer tips for scaling up from an individual child to a group of children.